A Liebster Award! For Me? You Shouldn’t Have. Gimme.
Hey, check it out, someone likes me! I’ve been honored by Cait of The Honest Mommy as an up-and-comer in the blogging world, and as a result, you get to find out all sorts of things about me that really-have-no-bearing-on-anything-but-might-be-fun-if-you-read-this-drunk.
Here’s how it works, if I got this right. First, I tell you 11 random things about me that, hopefully, won’t bore you to tears. Next, I answer Cait’s 11 questions posed to her award nominees. Last, I get to ask my nominees 11 questions designed to entertain and amuse, all for your benefit.
Random Facts About Me:
1. When I was in middle school, I went with my Girl Scout troop to Martha’s Vineyard. We all rode on a merry-go-round, and after about the 80th ride, I totally hurled my lunch and most of my breakfast.
2. I can eat an entire box of Kraft Mac & Cheese in one sitting.
3. One time I was making out with a boyfriend in the woods and we both ended up with poison ivy all over our upper bodies. Thank god that we both had long pants. And that they stayed on.
4. I’m in my mid-thirties, and I still can’t go underwater without holding my nose.
5. I’ve only ever met one other person who has the same name as me with the same spelling.
6. I will not eat a Wendy’s hamburger because square hamburgers are just wrong.
7. Thanks to my toddler, I can now differentiate between an excavator, a front-end loader, a backhoe loader and a skid steer.
8. I didn’t grow up watching football, and now, every time I watch football with my husband, I learn about a new rule that I’ve NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE. And I’ve checked, he’s not making them up.
9. I spent the majority of the last month of my second pregnancy in a pool because it was the only relief I could find from the weight of what my ultrasound doc called a “biggish baby.” He weighed 10.5 pounds when he was born and my friend said “Congratulations on the birth of your toddler.”
10. I collect books and key chains. I have about 1000 of each.
11. I sing show tunes in the shower, repeatedly, incorrectly and off-key. With or without company in the house.
Questions from The Honest Mommy:
1. Where is the furthest place you’ve traveled?
Italy. Instead of hitting a spring break destination, as a high school senior I went with my Humanities class for a week. When we went to the Vatican, I tripped on my dress on the stairs into the Basilica and very gracefully slid down half the staircase on my knees.
2. Red wine or White wine? If you answer is both, I’ll like you even more.
Neither, mixed drinks. Wine gives me a headache. Sorry, hope you still like me, I keep wine around for others…
3. If you were going to apply to be a cast member on a reality show, which one would it be?
Now, that’s a problem. I can’t stand most reality shows. I always feel like I’m waiting for something bad to happen. Plus, major stage fright. I get nervous in font of a crowd. If we’re talking reality game shows, I’d say The Sing-Off because I’d be hidden in a group, but it was cancelled…
4. What inspired you to start blogging?
One day, as I was about to tell all of my Facebook friends the story about how my older son saw me using a breast pump and said “Mommy occo-puss?” I realized that almost all of my posts were about my children’s antics. So rather than annoy the crap out of everyone with tales of how cute my kids were, I decided to separate it out. And so it began…
5. What celebrity would you like to date?
Yeah…that wouldn’t work for me…not loving the limelight. But if my husband had died in a freak Segway accident or something, and no one knew who I was…maybe Jimmy Fallon. At least there would always be entertainment…
6. What was the first car you ever owned?
A Dodge Daytona ’87, dark blue, with those neat little headlights that popped up. One time I spilled a bottle of air freshener, and from then on it smelled like fermented strawberries.
7. What’s your biggest pet peeve?
So many peeves, so little time. So my answer is in the form of a photograph:
8. What’s one thing you miss about your childless life?
Work. Not all of the time, but I loved working with computers (I know, I’m such a geek), and now I rarely have a chance to use them for anything more than surfing and blogging. Certainly not rebuilding or troubleshooting. Who can concentrate with two little kids around?
9. What’s the most annoying toy someone has given your child?
Oh, there are so many, but the See ‘N” Say Farmer Says takes the cake. See here for the reasons: DUMB-ASS CHILDREN’S PRODUCTS, Part II: WTF, Fisher-Price?
10. Mac or PC?
PC. Although it’s been a long time since I used mine. It’s less portable than the iPad and harder to hide from the toddler.
11. What blogs do you read every day?
There are so many that I read, follow, check in with, that’s it’s hard to list. But the two that inspired me to start my own were Mommy Shorts and Momastery. Two very different, but equally read-worthy, blogs. Those links will take you to my favorite posts on each page.
Questions For My Nominees:
1. Which Muppet do you most identify with and why?
2. What kind of alcohol do you no longer drink because of that one time that you had way too much and now even the smell makes you sick? (Or was that just me…)
3. Biggest pet peeve about your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/ex, assuming it won’t get you kicked out of bed tonight?
4. Long hot shower or sudsy bubble bath?
5. If your kid was a character from one of his/her favorite TV shows, who would it be? (Be warned, if you say Caillou, you will not be invited here for play dates.) If no kids, furbabies, nieces, nephews or neighbors’ kids will do.
6. Describe one room from your dream home.
7. Would you rather live in a climate that never changes, or in a place where it hits both extremes?
8. You’re home alone. It’s the weekend and you have nowhere to go and are not expecting anyone. What are you wearing?
9. Apart from a spouse or significant other, who do you depend on most in the world?
10. Milk chocolate or dark chocolate?
11. What are your favorite blogs?
Thanks again to Cait of The Honest Mommy for this honor! May the bloggers be ever in your favor! (Seriously. You don’t want to piss off bloggers. Their wrath can be legendary.)